The Library owned by the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society held books dating from the 16th century. It was actively maintained until the early twentieth century, but the bulk of it came to be only of historical interest, fell into neglect and was practically lost in 1911 when the society moved to new premises at the Nottingham City Hospital’s Postgraduate Education Centre. The core Collection was transferred to the University of Nottingham in 1971.
In 1973 a further substantial quantity of books was discovered and rejoined the Collection. The volumes remained physically in the University\’s Medical Library until 1994 when they were transferred to the Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections.
The Collection consists of medical treatises from the 16th to the 19th centuries. Many of the titles were published between 1800 and 1860; but more than half of the Collection is pre-1851. In its present extent it numbers over 1160 items.
In addition to the book collection, the library also holds a comprehensive archive of the Society\’s Annual Reports and Council meeting minutes, recently updated.
Details of the Medico-Chirurgical Collection and details of how to book a visit to see this amazing collection can be viewed online at the University Library website.